- What is the main theme of the book? Which of the characters is most changed through the course of the book?
- Which character do you like most? Why? Which character do you dislike most? Why? Which character do you most relate to? Why?
- Are there any recurrent symbols throughout the book? Why do you think they were chosen?
- Are there any allusions to other books hidden throughout? What are they, and why are they relevant?
- What impact did the war have on women, work, and society? How do you think women’s equality has progressed since the Second World War?
Click here for a printable book club kit for The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir.
For an interactive map of the Village of Chilbury, click here.
Book Club Bites
Whether you’re gathering with a group, or reading solo, try our recommendations for a cocktail and snack that pair perfectly with the book.