Normal People Episode 9 with Rebecca Leib
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 9 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Rebecca Leib, comedian, writer, co-host of Ghost Town Podcast, and a producer of Brain Games on National Geographic.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 9 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Rebecca Leib, comedian, writer, co-host of Ghost Town Podcast, and a producer of Brain Games on National Geographic.
Abbe, Emma, and Rebecca discuss why Normal People is the perfect adaptation to stress you out, BDSM, thorny friendships and thornier individuals, and more.
It felt like Marianne and Lukas were stumbling around, wanting and not wanting to be together using the specific language of BDSM. —Rebecca Leib
– Intro and how Normal People made Rebecca relive all her high-school and college anxieties. Normal People: The perfect adaptation to stress you out! (0:38–2:46)
– TRIGGER WARNING: BDSM and abuse (2:47–3:04)
– Selena Gomez, crullers, and bondage: what’s going on with Marianne’s new diet? (3:05–5:16)
– Enter: Lukas and the glaring lack of a safe word (5:17–10:27)
– Is Lukas actually a Dom or he becomes one because that’s what Marianne wants? Unpacking their motivations as depicted in the book vs. the screen (10:28–12:14)
– Marianne’s crumbling social circle (12:15–14:29)
– “The Game” (14:30–16:23)
– The Anatomy of Sex: juxtaposing Marianne and Lukas’s physical intimacy to Connell and Helen’s (16:24–17:50)
– The Horrid Photoshoot and its Aftermath: we are no BDSM sexperts but how did they not negotiate the mechanics of their relationship ffs? (17:51–21:45)
– Marianne’s slow disassociation from herself and the use of HMU to externally present what she’s feeling internally (21:46–24:55)
– Dear Peggy, we want our friendship bracelet back (24:56–27:43)
– Is Helen the most ‘adult’ character so far? (27:44–31:18)
– Rebecca’s favorite adaptations and what she’s reading and binge-watching (31:18–32:48)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ Featuring black sweaters, black turtlenecks and black hand-ties, Marianne’s Swedish wardrobe is just as dark and depressing as her time there.
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram and Rebecca at @RebeccaLeib on Twitter and Instagram, and tweet your thoughts on this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 10 with Maris Kreizman.
I'd like updates on books, giveaways, special promotions, and more from Read It Forward and from Penguin Random House.