Normal People Episode 7 with Siobhan Jones
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 7 of the Normal People adaptation on Hulu and the BBC. They’re joined by Siobhan Jones, Editorial Director at Book of the Month.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 7 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Siobhan Jones, Editorial Director at Book of the Month.
Abbe, Emma, and Siobhan discuss boundaries, what not to say to your ex, the inevitability of compromise in a relationship, and more.
Connell wants everything to go perfectly but he won’t voice his needs and won’t ask Marianne what she needs. —Siobhan Jones
– Intro and Siobhan’s relationship with Normal People and the community it created (0:01–2:59)
– What is Book of the Month? And sign us up now please! (3:00–4:39)
– Episode recap (4:40–6:35)
– Alternating perspectives—experiencing the break-up as Marianne and Connell and the maddening miscommunication (6:36–10:26)
– Connell’s post-break up spiral (10:27–14:14)
– Finding Your Tribe – interpersonal relationships in school vs college (14:15–16:04)
– How to be friends with your ex? The run-in at the store and Marianne’s father’s memorial service (16:05–18:01)
– Kinks and catch-up over coffee (18:02–19:31)
– What does an intimacy coordinator do? (19:32–21:02)
– Marianne and Connell’s willingness and unwillingness to compromise in a relationship (21:03–22:32)
– Connell’s mugging. Are we in Italy yet? (22:33–25:34)
– Hello, Helen (25:35–26:12)
– Feathery pens and furtive glances during the test (26:56–28:14)
– Siobhan’s favorite adaptation and what she’s reading (28:15–31:07)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ Marianne channeling her inner Betty Draper in that smocked cherry-red dress is all the inspo we need for playing hostess again (whenever that may be).
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram, follow Siobhan on Instagram at @siobhannnj and Book of the Month on Twitter and Instagram at @bookofthemonth. Tweet your thoughts this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 8 with Lisa Lucas.