Normal People Episode 6 with Sophie Vershbow
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 6 of the Normal People adaptation on Hulu and the BBC. They're joined by Sophie Vershbow, Assistant Director of Social Media at the Random House Group.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 6 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Sophie Vershbow, Assistant Director of Social Media at Random House Group.
Abbe, Emma, and Sophie discuss Carly Rae Jepsen, nudes, the power dynamics of sex, abuse, and more.
Sex gets wrapped up into other emotions, a lot. It gets wrapped up into sadness and anger. Sex doesn’t just run on the tracks of lust and want and love. It’s something that you do to process a lot of other emotions. —Sophie Vershbow
– Intro and how the book emotionally wrecked Sophie (and literally every single person who read it) (:01–2:31)
– A very brief episode recap (2:32–3:25)
– Carly Rae Jepsen for life: geeking out about the brilliance of the soundtrack and the minds behind it – Maggie Phillips and Juliet Martin (3:26–5:54)
– Let’s Talk About Sex, Baby! (5:55–7:10)
– Finally, a show that shows students studying (7:11–9:41)
– Lorraine for 2020 (9:42–12:15)
– The agonizingly awkward dinner at Marianne’s, why Alan needs to be cancelled, and their mother’s complicity in being silent (12:16–17:25)
– Au naturale: a portrait of Marianne’s mental space and how she uses sex as a tool to process painful emotions (17:25–20:28)
– The comeback of nudes and nudetiquette (20:29–21:59)
– Yes, we’re banging but no, we’re not telling anyone – why won’t Marianne and Connell DTR publicly? (22:00–26:51)
– To what extent would you be willing to go to make someone you love happy? (26:52–29:06)
– The seeds of doubt are sown (29:07–30:59)
– The Annoying AF Break-Up (31:00–33:30)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ A Monokini Moment: Between Marianne’s timeless almost-black navy swimsuit, Peggy’s daring neon-orange number, and the birthday girl’s blue gingham cut-out, we’re ready to bid bikinis goodbye this summer.
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram, follow Sophie Vershbow on Instagram and Twitter at @svershbow, tweet your thoughts this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 7 with Siobhan Jones of Book of the Month.