I love my eBook reader. But I have to admit, sometimes I hate it a little too. I can take dozens of books on vacation (love), but I can't read in the bathtub (hate).
The good thing is, there will always be physical books: keep-them-forever hardcovers, gorgeous trade paperbacks, chunky mass market paperbacks, leave-them-out-where-everyone-can-see-them coffee table books.
As conflicted as I am about my eBook reader, I will continue reading on it. Of course I will. And I will continue bringing books home from the book shop and lining my shelves.
Here’s why I have a love-hate relationship with my eBook reader:
1. Dozens of books in my bag (love). This is a good thing, considering I used to have to pack a separate (very heavy) carry-on for all my books whenever I went on vacation.
2. I can’t read in the bathtub (hate). I know some people do, but I’m too much of a klutz. One slippery mistake and (splash!) my beloved eBook reader is kaput.
3. I can look stuff up while I’m reading without leaving the couch (love). Whenever I don’t know a word or a historical figure or a place, I’m just a click away from becoming a more informed reader.
4. I can’t dog-ear my pages or write in my book (hate). I know my eBook reader has bookmark and note-taking functions, but it’s not as satisfying as turning over the page or jotting down a note in the margin.
5. My eBook reader doesn’t smell like a book (hate). I miss that smell. I love putting my nose in a freshly cracked-open hardcover and inhaling. Yes, I really do that.
RIFers! What do you love (or not love) about your eBook reader? Tell us in a comment!