Every week, Read It Forward gathers the latest and greatest in the world of books to share with our community of readers. Have a bookish news item to share? Leave a comment!
• Book Beast gathered six talented young writers – Rivka Galchen, Matthew Gallaway, David Gordon, Darin Strauss, Charles Yu, and Deb Olin Unferth – to participate in a virtual roundtable discussion of David Foster Wallace’s posthumously published novel The Pale King.
• The Atlantic takes a look back at an age of old retail and indie bookstores, before computers, celebrity memoirs, and megachains came to dominate the literary world.
What We're Reading This WeekGet recommendations for the greatest books around straight to your inbox every week.
• Bookslut gathers faces from the Third Annual NYC Chapbook Fair.
• Six writers tell all about covers and blurbs. “Writers by definition spend a lot of time on the inside of books,” writes Matthew Gallaway, author of The Metropolis Case, “which is why what happens on the outside – namely, cover art and blurbs – can feel precarious and daunting.”
• This week’s New York Times bestsellers. Great to see Barbara Eden’s memoir Jeannie Out of the Bottle hit the list, and we’re glad that The Land of Painted Caves and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks are holding steady. Get the inside scoop: Inside the List.