To celebrate Halloween, we asked some of our favorite authors to tell us what terrifies them. Here’s what Taylor Stevens – author of The Informationist and The Innocent – told us. (Like her thrillers, Taylor’s list is sharp and smart.) What terrifies you, RIFers? Leave a comment below!
1. Being asked to create content. Conjuring something out of nothing. Words onto the blank page. Like right now. Totally terrified.
2. Drunk people who think they’re interesting. Especially those who refuse to let their victims squirm away. It’s a special form of hell. Slightly eclipsed by when the person isn’t drunk and does the same thing.
3. Being one of those people. Sort of self-explanatory.
What We're Reading This WeekGet recommendations for the greatest books around straight to your inbox every week.
4. Suffocation. Whether it’s by being trapped under water, lost up in space, buried alive, it’s the same terror of being kidnapped by a drunken person, except without air.
5. Locked-in Syndrome. To spend life fully cognizant, unable to communicate, and written off by medical professionals as brain-dead, is about the most horrific thing I can imagine.