Normal People Episode 5 with Cristina Arreola
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 5 of the Normal People adaptation on Hulu and the BBC. They're joined by Cristina Arreola, Associate Marketing Manager at Sourcebooks.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 5 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Cristina Arreola, Associate Marketing Manager at Sourcebooks.
Abbe, Emma, and Cristina discuss The Friend Zone, power dynamics between Marianne and Connell, social capital, steamy, satisfying sex, texting our boyfriends after watching, and more.
– Episode recap (2:54–3:45)
– Connell and Marianne decide to be friends and discuss what happened between them (3:45–7:06)
– Cristina talks about coming to the book after the end of an on-again, off-again relationship (7:14–8:00)
– Connell’s emotional intelligence growth and our sympathies for the characters (8:01–9:41)
– Power struggles between these two (9:41–13:31)
– Bye to Gareth (13:35–15:47)
– Turns out everyone knew about Marianne and Connell in high school (15:47–16:58)
– At University, Connell is working hard and Marianne labors less; their social capital has flip-flopped. (16:59–20:58)
– They’re back together! They’re having steamy sex again! (21:00–25:05)
– The callbacks to earlier conversations (25:06–26:35)
– Connell within Marianne’s friend group. Does he actually have friends? (26:35–29:33)
– Watching a party scene in quarantine (29:34–31:18)
– Can you be platonic friends with someone of the opposite sex? (31:18–33:01)
– Cristina’s favorite adaptations and what she’s reading (33:01–34:20)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ Marianne breaking up with Gareth in a velvet dress
✂ We all want Peggy’s butterfly top
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram and follow Cristina on Instagram at @tinamariposa and Twitter at @C_Arreola, tweet your thoughts this episode and other adaptations you love.
Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 6 with Sophie Vershbow.