Normal People Episode 12 with Lauren Mechling
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about Episode 12, the series finale of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Lauren Mechling, the author of How Could She.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about Episode 12, the series finale of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Lauren Mechling, the author of How Could She.
Abbe, Emma, and Lauren discuss Connell’s chain, normal coupledom, what makes an adaptation great, and more.
For me the most interesting difference in watching the show versus reading the book is that the show is Connell’s show. He just stole it. I’m obsessed with him. He breaks my heart. The book was more of Marianne’s story. —Lauren Mechling
– Intro (0:23–0:57)
– An ode to the glorious chain that lays on Connell’s neck (0:58–2:30)
– Lauren’s introduction to Normal People and her favorite Sally Rooney novel (2:30–3:51)
– Book vs Screen: Who did it better? (3:52–6:02)
– Music and Monokinis: cultural markers and specificity in the show that make up the Rooneyverse (6:03–8:40)
– A montage of Mariannell’s (or is it Connanne’s?) cute moments (8:41–13:21)
– Connell the Writer gets accepted to an MFA program in New York (13:22–15:36)
– Book vs. Screen: Who ended it better? (15:37–20:17)
– Book vs. Screen: Marianne and Connell’s future as a couple (20:18–21:13)
– The sex scene in this episode and Connell’s, ahem, full frontal nudity (21:14–23:14)
– Christmas at Sligo with Lorraine—we’re not crying, you’re crying (23:15–27:16)
– Here comes Denise (cue Jaws theme) (27:17–29:59)
– The Realm of Gossip: Does Marianne care about what people think of her or her family? (30:00–31:37)
– Nothing but heart-eyes emojis for our guy and gal (31:38–33:53)
– The Final Talk: RIP to all the tissues that were sacrificed in the last four minutes (33:54–35:53)
– Watching this show in quarantine (make us feel all the feels) and some more great adaptations (35:54–39:43)
– What Lauren’s reading and recommending right now (39:44–40:55)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ Marianne’s jewel-toned, edgy, bohemian wardrobe is back and there are so many great looks in this episode but we would be remiss if we didn’t dedicate at least one report to Connell’s chain. Whoever made the decision to include that glint of gold in Connell’s ensemble, you have our deepest and sincerest gratitude.
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram, follow Lauren at @laurenmechling on Twitter and @thecloglife on Instagram, tweet your thoughts on this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
I'd like updates on books, giveaways, special promotions, and more from Read It Forward and from Penguin Random House.