Normal People Episode 11 with Angela Ledgerwood
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 11 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Angela Ledgerwood, host of the Lit Up podcast.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe and Emma chat about episode 11 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. They’re joined by Angela Ledgerwood, host of the Lit Up podcast.
Abbe, Emma, and Angela discuss sex etiquette, portrayal of masculinity on TV shows, the tendency of falling back into self-destructive patterns, and more.
The rules of how to negotiate sex sound great in theory but the truth of it is that so many weird things happen in the moment. And that’s why the book and the show are so powerful, because they show the world sex as it is, more than how it should be. —Angela Ledgerwood
– Intro, Angie’s introduction to Normal People and why she prefers Conversations with Friends just a little bit more (0:28–2:11)
– Episode recap: Are Marianne and Connell finally getting their shit together? Dare we hope? (2:12–5:26)
– From studying abroad in Sweden to spending summer break in Sligo: Marianne just can’t catch a break from emotionally abusive people (5:27–7:38)
– Love on the Weekend: Connell and Marianne spend sweet summer weekends together (7:39–11:04)
– Popsicles and proclamations in Connell’s bedroom (11:05–14:07)
– To kiss or not to kiss? Can Connell and Marianne ever be just friends? (14:08–16:19)
– What is at the crux of Marianne and Connell’s miscommunication? Will we ever find out? Will they ever find out? (16:20–19:03)
– The Trifecta: “You can do whatever you want to me. Will you tell me I belong to you? Will you hit me?” (19:04–22:43)
– Connell shows Marianne a new way to accept love, one that is not defined by the abuse she faced at home (22:44–25:05)
– Alan’s atrocities, the mother’s passivity, and how Marianne defines her worth based on their mistreatment of her (26:06–28:31)
– That time when Connell very politely threatens to take Alan’s life if he every lays a finger on Marianne again and how she finally learns to accept kindness from people (28:32–31:21)
– The soundtrack of the show: yay or nay? (31:22–34:15)
– Angie’s favorite adaptations and what she can’t wait to read next (34:16–38:33)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ Marianne’s wardrobe has made a triumphant return. The sparkly silver number she is sporting at the club, think Paris Hilton circa early 2000s, has us crying—for its sheer beauty and our sheer inability to go clubbing in the midst of a pandemic.
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram, follow Angie’s podcast, Lit Up, on Twitter and Instagram at @litupshow and Angie, herself, on Twitter and Instagram, tweet your thoughts on this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 12, the finale, with Lauren Mechling.
I'd like updates on books, giveaways, special promotions, and more from Read It Forward and from Penguin Random House.