Normal People Episode 10 with Maris Kreizman
May 30, 2020 - On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe chats about episode 10 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. (Get well soon Emma!) She’s joined by Maris Kreizman, book critic and host of The Maris Review.
On this episode of The Adaptables, Abbe chats about episode 10 of the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. (Get well soon Emma!) She’s joined by Maris Kreizman, book critic and host of The Maris Review.
Abbe and Maris discuss grappling with the loss of loved ones, dating people with mental health issues in college, Skyping, sapiosexuality, and more.
Their relationship wasn’t just about sex. It was the exchange of ideas that really made them so perfect for each other. —Maris Kreizman
– Intro and Maris’s Canadian galley of Normal People (0:24–2:55)
– TRIGGER WARNING (depression and suicide) and episode recap (2:56–3:42)
– Connell hears about Rob’s suicide (3:43–6:16)
– Asking for help: Connell seeks out a counsellor on Niall’s insistence (6:17–6:43)
– Flashback to the funeral (6:44–8:00)
– Dissecting Marianne’s motivations: why she comes back from Sweden for Rob’s funeral but not Christmas (8:01–10:54)
– Marianne’s eating disorder in the book vs. the show (10:55–12:28)
– Perfect Girlfriend No More: Helen confronts Connell and commendably chooses herself over playing second fiddle (12:29–15:22)
– Have you ever Skyped with anyone all night long while they slept? (15:23–17:37)
– A critical look at class, upward mobility, and the hidden costs of meritocracy in Normal People (17:38–20:02)
– Intellectual intercourse: the glue that holds Marianne and Connell together (20:03–23:12)
– What Maris is currently reading and her top recommendations for the summer (23:13–25:56)
Marianne Fringe Report:
✂ The chunky bright blue sweater that Marianne is sporting at the end of the episode gives us hope that this will be the last we see of Marianne’s grayscale wardrobe. You will not be missed.
The Adaptables is a podcast from Read it Forward and Penguin Random House that dives into your favorite book-to-screen adaptations. This season, we’re watching the Hulu and BBC adaptation of Normal People by Sally Rooney. Join hosts Abbe Wright and Emma Shafer as we interview authors, insiders and each other, about what makes an adaptable great, why watching and reading are important self-care rituals, and the many other books and shows we are binging and loving right now. Because at The Adaptables, we love to watch what we read. (Warning: there will be spoilers.)
Send us an email or voice recording to AdaptablesPod@Gmail.com. What did you think of the episode? Are you watching the show? Is Normal People a successful adaptation of the book?
Follow @ReadItForward on Twitter and Instagram, follow Maris on Twitter and Instagram at @mariskreizman, tweet your thoughts on this episode and other adaptations you love. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
NEXT UP: We’ll recap Episode 11 with Angela Ledgerwood.
I'd like updates on books, giveaways, special promotions, and more from Read It Forward and from Penguin Random House.